Danny Boyle has quit as director of the next James Bond film "due to creative differences", its producers have announced.
In a tweet the team behind the Bond films said that he will "no longer direct" the British spy's 25th outing.
A replacement director for Boyle has not been announced.
The latest 007 film, which is yet to have been titled, is currently in production and was expected to be released in November 2019.
Oscar-winner Boyle's involvement in the film was confirmed in May, with EON Productions saying work would begin at Pinewood Studios, Buckinghamshire, in December.
Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25. pic.twitter.com/0Thl116eAd
— James Bond (@007) August 21, 2018
Boyle, who was born in Greater Manchester, was due to direct from an original screenplay by John Hodge – who also worked on Trainspotting.
Producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said at the time that they were "delighted to announce that the exceptionally talented" director would be working on the latest film in the franchise.
Daniel Craig is set to return for his fifth stint as 007 in the film.
The film is expected to be Craig's last time playing the spy, having previously starred in Casino Royale, Quantum Of Solace, Skyfall and Spectre.
He previously stated that he would rather "slash my wrists" than return to the role, but later said that he made the remarks two days after he finished shooting Spectre and was exhausted.
More from Ents & Arts
Idris Elba had been rumoured to replace Daniel Craig after it was reported Brocolli had said it was now "time" for a black actor to take the role.
Elba sent the rumour-mill into overdrive earlier this month when he posted a cryptic tweet which read: "My name's Elba, Idris Elba."