SHARE

Rebel Wilson has hit back at a Court of Appeal ruling that saw her defamation payout from magazine publisher Bauer Media reduced to $600,000, calling the decision "clearly not fair".

Wilson had originally been awarded damages of $4.5 million last year, the largest defamation payout in Australian legal history, over a series of articles that painted her as a serial liar.

But on Thursday, the Court of Appeal ruled there was "no evidence" that the Pitch Perfect star had suffered economic loss from lost film roles, and slashed the figure.

In a series of tweets on Friday, Wilson slammed the court's ruling and said she "looked forward" to appealing the decision.

"Everybody knows I lost money after those maliciously defamatory articles were printed about me by Bauer Media in 2015. The learned trial judge and Australian jury on the case who heard all the evidence clearly agreed," she wrote.

Advertisement

"But somehow the Court of Appeal have been absolutely flippant with regards to my economic loss, not to mention my overall hurt and distress at having to stand up to these bullies."

Wilson has expressed her disappointment about the outcome of Thursday's Court of Appeal decision.

Photo: Scott McNaughton

Wilson, who had planned on donating the payout to the local film industry and various charities, said the decision "leaves a billionaire corporation, proven guilty of malicious defamation, being able to get away with their seriously harmful acts for a very low pay day!"

"Clearly not fair. Come on Australia," she wrote.

Wilson, who did not appear in court yesterday, is currently in Prague working on Taiki Waititi's upcoming film Jojo Rabbit.

Rob Moran

Rob Moran is an Entertainment reporter for The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and Brisbane Times.

Most Viewed in Entertainment

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here