Capital punishment continues to be a controversial topic in the United States. The ultimate fear is that the state could potentially execute an innocent man or woman. One young musician was arrested for a murder he didnt commit, and spent 25 years on death row.

Jimmy Dennis was living in Philadelphia in 1991, and was on the brink of making his R&B music career take off. The 21-year-old was gaining interest from different record labels who were trying to sign them.

Dennis and his group Sensations influences included artists such as New Edition, The Temptations, and Four Tops. The group took these influences and developed their own style and sound. However, Denniss musical career would be interrupted by something he couldnt have seen coming.

The Wrong Man

On Nov. 22, 1991 Dennis had a meeting with a record label, producer, and promoter at his church. Afterward he had dinner to celebrate, and then went to his dads apartment. Before Dennis was aware of what was happening, the police had burst into the apartment with their guns drawn.

The detectives informed Dennis that he was being charged with murder. Dennis began shaking, and broke down in tears. He had a baby on the way, and was terrified at the prospect of potentially being executed.

“To me it was shocking. It was the worst feeling that you can imagine in the world. Your heart is beating outside of your chest,” Dennis told The Epoch Times.

Dennis photo
Dennis photo
Jimmy Dennis was about to launch a professional music career prior to his arrest. (Courtesy of Marc Allen)

Dennis vehemently denied the accusation, and told the detectives that he couldnt have possibly done something like murder someone else. He just wanted to clear his name. Nevertheless, the police harassed him and tried everything they could to get him to crack.

“Youre not a human being to them at all. Youre less than an animal, and thats how I was treated,” Dennis recalled.

Dennis gave a statement to the detectives proclaiming his innocence, but they ultimately withheld it so it wouldnt be available at trial.

Dennis had to survive attempts on his life from other of prisoners and abuse from guards to even make it to trial. Once he made it to trial, Dennis never stood a chance.

Kangaroo Court

The prosecutor and detectives who testified against him were corrupt, and the jury members would fall asleep during the trial.

Furthermore, Dennis didnt even match the description of the perpetrator. The suspect was described as 5′ 10″ to 6′ tall, 180 to 200 pounds, and of dark skin complexion.

At the time Dennis was 5′ 4” and was only 125 pounds. Moreover, he was of lighter complexion than the description.

Dennis in the studio
Dennis in the studio
Jimmy Dennis working in the recording studio. (Courtesy of Marc Allen)

The prosecution also lied to the jury about Denniss alibi and other witness statements. Furthermore, the prosecution and policed coerced witnesses to lie and testify against him. Moreover, the prosecution and police lied about clothing that they had found that had allegedly linked Dennis to the murder, but they said it had been cleaned out of the evidence room.

“Complete and utter corruption at every single turn,” Dennis said.

On Oct. 16, 1992 Dennis was convicted of first degree murder. When the jury read the verdict, his entire family broke down in tears. On Oct. 19, 1992 he was sentenced to death.

“It was just a heartbreaking moment for me and for them,” Dennis said.

Death Row

Dennis was on death row, and spent 23 hours a day in solitary confinement with a light that was always on. The food trays were dirty and people would write racist slurs on them. Everywhere he went, including the bathroom, was covered by cameras. Whenever he was moved, he was placed in shackles with at least three guards escorting him.

Some of the prisoners on death row were mentally ill, and some of the condemned men committed suicide while Dennis awaited his execution.

“Being on death row is like having a gun to your head every single day, like somebody playing Russian roulette with you,” Dennis explained.

Dennis would also suffer from blackouts and panic attacks as a result of living on death row.

The cell Dennis was in had air vents which created a large amount of dust, which exacerbated his asthma. He ultimately developed a nasal drip medical condition as well. He now speaks with a somewhat raspy voice.

Dennis could only speak with family over the phone for a maximum of 15 minutes three days a week.

When guards escorted Dennis to the library or the yard, he was still placed in a cage. Ultimately, Dennis turned the cell into a library, and began working on his case. He wrote letters to his large group of supporters who were working on a campaign for his freedom, and studied the law.

“Thats how I fought to come back home. I never lost hope,” Dennis said.


After Dennis had exhausted all of his state appeals, he andRead More – Source