Donald Trump has branded London mayor Sadiq Khan a "disaster" and a "national disgrace" following two fatal stabbings and a shooting in London in the space of 24 hours.
Mr Trump tweeted on Saturday evening: "LONDON needs a new mayor ASAP. Khan is a disaster – will only get worse!"
The US president later returned to Twitter, writing: "He [Mr Khan] is a national disgrace who is destroying the City of London!"
Mr Trump was responding to a post by outspoken right-wing commentator Katie Hopkins, in which she called the capital "Stab-City" and "Khan's Londonistan" alongside two screenshots of news articles detailing the violence.
20 hours in Stab-City UPDATE
2 stabbed to death
1 shot dead
Three stabbed – but not dead.
Wandsworth & Tower Hamlets
This is Khans Londonistan. pic.twitter.com/iPMmp7iSvO
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) June 15, 2019
A spokesman for Mr Khan said the mayor would not "waste his time responding to this sort of tweet" as he is "focusing on supporting London's communities and over-stretched emergency services".
He said: "He [Mr Khan] has been in regular touch with senior Met police officers last night and throughout the day.
His thoughts are with the victims' families.
More from UK
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn jumped to the defence of the London mayor, tweeting: "Absolutely awful to see @realDonaldTrump using the tragedy of people being murdered to attack the Mayor.
"@SadiqKhan is rightly supporting the police to do their job while Katie Hopkins spreads hateful and divisive rhetoric. They seek to divide at a time we need to come together."
Mr Trump and Mr Khan clashed during the president's state visit to the UK last week, when the president branded the mayor a "stone cold loser".
Mr Trump's latest insult came hours after a man was found stabbed to death in Tower Hamlets, east London.
The victim, aged in his 30s, was found injured on Alton Street just before 2pm.
The stabbing followed the arrests of 10 people after two teenagers were killed in a stabbing and shooting which happened 12 minutes apart in different parts of London on Friday.
I am sickened to hear that two young lives have been ended within minutes of each other in Wandsworth & Greenwich. Anybody who has information about what happened should do the right thing and call the police, either on 101 or anonymously, through @CrimestoppersUK on 0800 555 111 https://t.co/yqHPMVQvzt
— Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) June 14, 2019
Mr Khan tweeted he was "sickened" after the attacks, which are not thought to be connected.
He appealed to the public to help police with their investigations into the deaths.
At 4:42pm on Friday, police were called to Deeside Road in Wandsworth, south London, following reports of a stabbing.
Officers and paramedics found a victim, believed to be in his late teens, in a critical condition.
He died at the scene shortly afterwards.
Six men have been arrested on suspicion of murder and were taken to separate west London police stations for questioning.
Marina Paget, 22, who lives in the area, told the Press Association: "I walked past at 2.30pm and I didn't see anything, but when I came back from work at 5.30pm it was all going on.
"I walked past I saw what looked like the body on the floor covered in a bag and there were 50 people around, loads of people, two or three ambulances."
Tooting MP Rosena Allin-Khan said the suspected murder was "heartbreaking".
"My heart goes out to the family of this victim after this absolutely tragic incident,&qRead More – Source