Pokemon GO January Research UPDATE: What are January 2019 Field Research Quests & Rewards? (Pic: NIANTIC)
January Field Research Quests UPDATE
At some point after the initial Research Quests release, Pokemon GO received an update and added a few more research quests to the game.
This is on top of the previously mentioned quests below, and not, instead of any previous quest.
These new Research Quests more recently added are as follows:
Added on January 2nd:
• Catch 5 Electric, Normal or Poison Pokemon – Starmie
• Catch 7 Flying, Psychic, or Dark Type Pokémon – Anorith
• Use 5 Razz Berries to help catch Pokémon – Cubone (Shiny Chance)
• Use an item to evolve a Pokémon – Aerodactyl (Shiny Chance)
• Win 5 Raid Battles – Aerodactyl (Shiny Chance)
• Make 3 Great Throws – Anorith or Lileep
Stay tuned for any further additions or changes.
Head to https://i.redd.it/7gc97fo2v7821.png to see a full sized image (Pic: Reddit)
January Field Research Quests Confirmed
Battle Field Missions & Rewards
- Battle in a Gym – Mankey or Machop
- Battle in a Gym 5 times – Lapras
- Battle in a Raid – Drowzee (Shiny chance)
- Win a Gym Battle – Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle (Shiny chance on all three)
- Win 3 Gym Battles – Jinx
- Use a super effective Charged Move in a Gym Battle seven times – Electabuzz
Evolve & Power Up Field Missions & Rewards
- Evolve a Pokemon – Sunkern or Eevee (Both shiny chance)
- Power up Pokemon 5 times – Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle (Shiny chance on all three)
Catch Field Missions & Rewards
- Catch a Dragon-type Pokémon – Dratini (Shiny)
- Catch 10 Pokémon – Magikarp (Shiny) or Houndour (Shiny)
- Catch 10 Ice-type Pokémon – Kabuto (Shiny)
- Catch 10 Ground-type Pokémon – Sandshrew (Shiny)
- Catch 5 Fighting-type Pokémon – Magnemite (Shiny)
- Catch 5 Pokémon with Weather Boost – Vulpix or Poliwag
Pokeball & Throw Field Missions & Rewards
- Make 3 great throws – Gastyly (Shiny chance)
- Make 5 great curveball throws in a row – Spinda #5
- Make 5 Nice Throws – Bidoof
- Make 3 great throws in a row – Onix
- Make 3 excellent throws in a row – Larvitar (Shiny Chance)
Hatch Field Missions & Rewards
- Hatch an Egg – Exeggcute or Snubbull (shiny chance)
- Hatch 3 eggs – Magmar
- Hatch 5 eggs – Chansey
Other Field Missions & Rewards
- Transfer 3 Pokemon – Vulpix
- Trade a Pokemon – Manetric
- Send 2 Gifts – Gastly (Shiny Chance)
- Win a Level 3 or Higher Raid – Omanyte (Shiny Chance)
- Battle in a Raid – Drowzee (Shiny Chance)
- Earn 5 Candies walking with your buddy -Tentacruel
Hatch an Egg – Exeggcute, Snubbull (Shiny)
Hatch 3 Eggs – Magmar
Hatch 5 Eggs – Chansey
January Field Research Quests – Update 1
Following an initial glitch which meant only Moltres was spawning from the Field Research Breakthrough along with Spinda 8, it now appears as if everything is working as it should.
Players are reporting that all Legendary Pokemon are now showing, with some lucky people also encountering Shiny Ho-Oh and Lugia.
As for the January Field Research Quests, we're still pulling that information together so stay tuned.
Oh and one last thing, it looks like the new Spinda Form is number 5.
If you're really lucky you might encounter a Shiny Ho-oh or Lugia (Pic: Reddit)
PSA – Stay tuned for the new January Field Research Quests. We're compiling them now. We'll also have news on the new Spinda type.
Original Story – Pokemon GO Field Research is set to change this evening as the game prepares to leave behind the December Field Research and rotate everything for the new January Field Research.
For those new to the game or unsure how this works, here's the skivvy.
When players spin PokeStops they collect field research with each PokeStop offering a random field research quest that changes every day.
By completing field research players earn rewards, with everything from random Pokemon encounters, to Pokeballs and berries.
If players complete seven of these they then unlock a field research breakthrough, for the chance to capture an extra special pokemon. In the case of past months, this has taken the form of Legendary Pokemon or rare pokemon like Snorlax.
So now you have your quick catch up, keep reading for everything you need to know about January Field Research!
January Field Research Start Times
Niantic hasn't provided any clues on the theme for the January field research, although typically it will focus on a specific type. For instance, November was bug themed!
Although the new Research Breakthrough has been revealed in a Twitter post which read:
The year 2019 is around the corner, and its already looking to be legendary! When you reach a Research Breakthrough in January and February, youll have the chance to encounter several Legendary Pokémon, including Lugia and Ho-Oh!
In addition, you should have a chance to encounter Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Entei, or Suicune as well.
The new Pokemon Field Research and Research Breakthrough should go live today, January 1st at 1PM PDT, which for anyone in the UK, is 9PM GMT, tonight!
If you've been holding onto your Field Research Breakthrough, make sure not to open it until after 9PM GMT this evening for your chance to encounter one of the new aforementioned Legendary Pokemon as early as possible.
January Field Research Quests
The January Field Research Quests have not been confirmed yet. However, there are one or two which never change every month which we can be fairly certain will return again this evening.
It's equally unclear what new Shiny Pokemon will be available this month, given that Niantic normally adds a new shiny Pokemon to the game every month.
In December, it was Shiny Misdreavus. For November, it was Catapie and the month before that, Growlith, so we should see another in January.
Likewise, the 'Catch 5 XXX-type Pokemon' is normally the quest reserved for this specific new shiny pokemon, so be on the watch out for that field research task when spinning stops.
Stay tuned for further updates in the coming hours.