Pokemon Go creators release Ingress Prime TODAY on iOS and Android – Here's what's new (Pic: NIANTIC)
Niantic, who many will know as the creators of Pokémon GO, has today launched Ingress Prime, a new real world mobile game that builds upon the original Ingress game.
For those who didn't play Ingress, the game will transforms cities and neighborhoods across the globe into a vast science fiction universe that Niantic says is "ripe for exploration and adventure."
Ingress Prime is available as a free download on the App Store for iPhone and on Google Play for Android devices. But keep reading for more information about this exciting new game from Niantic.
What is Ingress Prime?
Ingress Prime builds upon Niantics foundational real world augmented reality game, Ingress, and leverages cutting-edge location-based technology to reveal the global game board and uncover Portals, which are disguised as public art and landmarks.
For fans of Pokemon GO this will be fairly familiar in the form of Pokestops.
Agents will begin their journey in Ingress Prime with an all-new interactive story to introduce players to the immersive sci-fi universe and gameplay mechanics required to capture these Portals and the powerful resource, known as Exotic Matter (XM), leaking from them.
Upon completing the training, players must choose a side between The Enlightened and The Resistance, two factions battling for control of these landmarks and the fate of the world.
What else is new in Ingress Prime?
We had the chance to speak with Niantic and here's a quick overview of what's new following the Ingress Prime Update:
- When players walk around the real world, we wanted to try to make them feel closer to the hidden energy coming from the world itself.
- The first and most noticeable update for Ingress Prime, is that we have completely overhauled the visual experience.
- The game has been built from the ground up using the Niantic real world Platform our own proprietary technology.
- Street portals and EM leaking into the world are now rendered in 3D.
- We've also enhanced the overall user interface throughout prime. Examing a portal and gives users a new look at the location with more information.
- Attacking and defending portals has also been streamlined through this new user interface to give players more control while they're playing together.
- Agents can not only click the center to better access these menus for the first time they can also swipe left, right or up to directly enter these menus. Previous actions such as attack were once available by a long press.
- Inventory management in general as well as the in-game communications tool have been greatly improved to be easier to use than ever. These might sound minor but they are among the most in-demand requests for Ingress Prime from our players.
- In addition to visuals, we've also enhanced the audio throughout the game to give players a more immersive experience as well.
Ingress Prime Events:
As with the original, the Ingress Prime storyline will evolve and change based on how Ingress Agents interact with one another and the outcome of Ingress real world “Anomaly” events. As Agents collaborate and compete, the story will expand through a new interactive hub (www.ingress.com/investigate) which serves as the entry point into the deep Ingress universe.
A new Ingress web series, “The Dunraven Project,” serves as an entry point, fusing narrative and real-world Agent achievements. The two Factions, the “Enlightened” and the “Resistance,” are at the spine of the narrative and in Ingress Prime they come to life in a new way, as two functioning artificial intelligence entities, with which Ingress Agents and prospective Agents can interact. They are set to come online shortly after launch and will play a pivotal role.
Niantics hallmark real-world “Anomaly” events will play an important role in Ingress Prime, putting the outcome of key narrative arcs into the hands of Agents. These Anomalies bring Agents from both factions together for a weekend of competition, exploration, and celebration.
For Ingress Prime, Niantic plans to host 12 large-scale “Primary” Anomaly events (three each quarter in Asia, Europe, and the Americas), complemented by more than 100 community-driven “Satellite” Anomaly events. The new events kick off on November 17 in major cities around the world including Barcelona, Austin, and Hong Kong. A full listing of events can be found at www.ingress.com/events.
What is the Ingress Prime Netflix show?
A whole new dimension of the Ingress world will be showcased in “The Ingress Anime,” an all new CG-animated series developed in collaboration with Fuji TV and Craftar Studios in Japan.
It will be released worldwide in 2019 on Netflix but no specific release date details have been announced.
The show merges Ingress Agents, gameplay, and narrative into a global sci-fi adventure thriller and features music from a number of artists including Alt-J.