PS5 News: HUGE new PlayStation Batman game could be coming to Sony PS4 successor (Pic: SONY/WARNERS)
Sony PlayStation fans could be waiting a while for the PS5 Release Date, but we might have an idea of one upcoming game coming to the future PlayStation console.
We already have a good idea about a couple of future titles that appear to already be in the works. Such as the next Call of Duty and more recently Destiny 3.
However, it now seems there could be a brand new next-gen title coming from Warner Bros Games Montreal and that could mean a brand new Batman game for the Arkham-verse. Or better yet, something DC related, like Superman!
For those who don't realise, WB Montreal is in essence Warner's studio dedicated to expanding the DC Video Game Universe. And in the past the Montreal development history has been largely Batman/DC focussed, most famously on Batman: Arkham Origins.
But the developers latest high heavily suggests the studio is working on something for the next generation of consoles like the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett.
Keep reading for the main sections taken from the studio's recent job description:
WB Games Montreal, a division on WB Games Inc., seeks a Lead Gameplay Programmer to join its game development team working on a new IP project for next-generation game platforms.
As a Lead Gameplay Programmer, this individual will manage a group of engineers to design, develop, maintain, and optimize cross-platform systems and tools, examples of which include: character controls, character animations, AI, weapon systems. This lead will also prioritize work, develop plans and work with production to help schedule and assign tasks to team members.
· Lead a group of programmers in the development of new systems, features, and tools in addition to leveraging newest technologies while maintaining a stable code base
· Work closely with content directors, game designers, level designers, artists, and producers to develop the technical designs, engineering schedules, and game systems.
· Hold departmental meetings to gather feature requirements and discuss implementation strategies. Do task breakdowns for engineering features.
· Ensure successful deployment of new features and code changes to the team.
In addition to the job description above, it's possible we might already know a lot about this new WB Montreal game already thanks to a leak earlier this year via the 4chan forums.
The leak suggests that the game – set in the DC Universe, and focusing on the Bat-family – will be announced at the upcoming Microsoft X0 2018 conference.
A lot of information was dropped in the 4chan leak – which may or may not be true. It seems interesting and realistic, though. Here's what we've seen teased so far.
- Release Date: Fall 2019
- Current Gen: XB1/1X/PS4/PS4Pro/PC
- Single player/Co-op/Multiplayer(specific modes)
- Characters include the entire Batfamily: Batman, Robin(Tim), Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Catwoman, Red Hood
- Gotham is about 1.5x the size of AK. Districts and neighborhoods have gone through complete overhaul.
- Gotham is now a “living, breathing city”
- Set Time of Day/Weather(Rain,Overcast,Snow)
- There are random crimes such as car chases, bank robberies, muggings, and so forth.
- Main Villain: Court of Owls
- Story takes inspiration from the different Court of Owls storylines.
- Every character is available in free roam.
- Batman has a redesigned Batmobile(transport only) and the other characters have their cycles
- Batcave serves as main hub for upgrades, character swaps, new missions, game modes
- Game plays similar to past Arkham games, but there are new options for co-op: Dual takedowns in combat/stealth.
- Stealth segments make you work together
- Parkour has been expanded. Characters move a lot quicker and more fluid.
- Main gadgets are the same except for a couple new additions.
- New enemy types include Talons and Pilots(enemies that hover the battlefield, you have to either use a gadget or dual
- takedown to get them down)
- Talons are the same as the ninja types from Arkham Knight. They can counter your counters and also have their own gadgets (knife, throwing knife)
- Game takes place in the Arkhamverse, obviously
- This is supposed to be Rocksteadys true “last hoorah” of Batman games.
Earlier this year it was also confirmed that Ann Lemay had joined the studio as the new Narrative Director.
Lemay most recently has credits on the Assassin's Creed: Discovery Tour and has been working in gaming since 1997, according to her IMDB profile.
We don't know for sure what Warner Bros. Montreal is working on, but making hires like this suggests it's going to be a narrative based game, and as mentioned, it certainly seems as though the dev team have a very specific niche when it comes to the DC projects they work on.
Could another Batman game in the same vein as Arkham Origins be in the works? Are they aiming for something bigger? It almost certainly feels like at this stage it will be coming to next-gen consoles such as the PS5.
We're certainly looking forward to hearing more soon, but let us know what you'd like to see in the comments below.