SHARE

Actor Casey Affleck has withdrawn as a presenter at this year's Oscars, an academy spokesperson has said.

The Academy Awards announcement comes after allegations of sexual harassment against the actor on the set of an earlier film.

A film academy spokesperson said they "appreciate the decision to keep the focus on the show and on the great work of this year".

The 42-year-old, who is the younger brother of fellow actor Ben Affleck, was expected to present this year's best actress award after he took best actor last year for his performance in the family drama Manchester by the Sea.

At last year's ceremony, he saw off competition from Denzel Washington and Ryan Gosling to take home the Oscar.

According to tradition, the reigning best actor recipient presents the award for best actress.

But on Thursday, his publicist confirmed Affleck would not attend the ceremony on 4 March.

Video:#MeToo march steps on Hollywood stars

Following the rise of the Me Too movement in Hollywood against sexual harassment in the industry, focus turned back to those accused of misconduct in the past.

In 2010, Affleck was sued by two women over alleged sexual harassment before the lawsuit was settled out of court.

He has strongly denied the claims, which allegedly took place during the making of the film I'm Still Here.

Sexual harassment in the entertainment business dominated the Golden Globes earlier this month, with the Times Up campaign taking the ceremony by storm.

More from Hollywood Harassment

The campaign saw stars dress in black for the event and give powerful speeches on sexual harassment and gender inequality.

Oscar nominations this week saw filmmaker Greta Gerwig become the first woman to get an Oscar nomination for best director since 2010.

Original Article

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here